At Absolute Dental in Vancouver, BC, we want to help you make sure your child is establishing good oral hygiene habits. Family dentistry is our specialty and we look forward to helping your child achieve a strong and healthy smile.
Teaching your child proper oral care will ensure they understand the importance of a healthy smile from a young age. Below are some tips that you can implement into your home to help your child maintain strong teeth and prevent cavities.
Things To Do To Avoid Cavities
- Set an example by taking good care of your own teeth!
- Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste to remove plaque from the surface of the teeth
- Floss daily to remove plaque from between your teeth and under the gumline
- Eat a well-balanced diet that limits starchy or sugary foods which produce plaque
- Take your child to the dentist for regular checkups – your child should see a dentist by their first birthday!
Brushing Techniques To Show Your Child
- Use a pea-sized dab of fluoride toothpaste, and make sure your child does not swallow the toothpaste
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently brush the inside surface of each tooth first
- Clean the outer surfaces of each tooth and along the outer gumline
- Brush the chewing surface of each tooth
- Don’t forget to brush the tongue!
It’s a good idea to have your children’s dentistry experts at Absolute Dental, demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques to your child to instill good habits. In our Vancouver dental practice, we love treating the whole family and look forward to seeing your beautiful smiles again soon! Call today to reserve your appointment!